Regular exercise is essential to healthy living, and walking is one of the simplest and most efficient forms of exercise. Walking consistently for 30-60 minutes a day within four weeks, will increase your stamina, strength, and energy, these are just a few of the benefits.
Walking is also inexpensive. Aside from a comfortable pair of walking shoes with decent arch support, you do not need any special equipment. Also, you do not need a gym membership. Only go outside and put one foot in front of the other.
Other benefits of walking include:
- Improved circulation. You likely have heard how bad sitting for extended periods of time can be. If you work at a desk, taking a walk in the middle of the day can counteract much of this damage.
- Good low impact exercise. Walking gets your heart working without putting stress on your knees, hips, feet, and joints. Also, compared to jogging, you have a much slimmer chance of developing an injury by walking. This makes it an excellent choice for any age and for people that have arthritis or other joint issues.
- Walking burns calories and helps you lose weight. Walking at a brisk pace for 60 minutes can burn 350-500 calories depending on your height, weight, and other factors. A 150-pound person burns about 100 calories per mile on average.
- Walking improves your attitude and mental capacity while reducing stress. This is especially true when you walk in a beautiful natural setting such as a park, in the woods, or along the water.
- Can be done at nearly any age. Walking is a healthy activity you can do your entire life.
If you are unable to workout at the gym or are short on time, fit in a nice walk around the neighborhood or at the local track with your spouse, friend or dog.
While you are here, print or load the latest health & drug coupons to a store loyalty program.