There is nothing better than chocolate – chocolate cake at that. Indulge in the deliciousness of this fudge-like dessert.
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 2 ½ hours | Total: 2 hours 45 minutes | Serving Size: 12 -16
Here is what you will need:
- 2 c. AP Flour
- 4 t. Baking Powder
- ½ t. Salt
- 6 T. Unsweetened Cocoa (I used 4 T. regular unsweetened cocoa and 2 T. Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
- ⅔ c. Semi-Sweet or Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1½ sticks Unsalted Butter, cut into chunks
- 1 t. Instant Coffee Granules
- 1¼ c. Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ c. Whole Milk
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 2 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 c. Hot Water
- ⅔ c. Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ c. Packed Brown Sugar
- ⅔ c. Unsweetened Cocoa (I used half regular unsweetened and half Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
- 1 T. Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Cake:
1. Coat the inside of a 2½ quart to 5 quart slow cooker or crockpot with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl melt the chocolate chips, butter and instant coffee granules in the microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring between each until melted and smooth. Whisk in the sugar thoroughly and then the milk, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix thoroughly with a spatula. Pour into the bottom of your slow cooker and spread evenly.
For the Fudge Sauce:
1. Combine the hot water and both sugars and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in the cocoa and vanilla. Pour over the cake batter.
2. Cover the slow cooker with a tea towel and then put the lid on top of that (the towel will absorb any condensation that occurs). Cook for 2½ hours on high. You will know it’s ready when nearly all of the cake is set and the edges begin to pull away from the sides. Let it set for 30-45 minutes and then serve in bowls with whipped cream or ice cream.
Craving more sweetness? Try more dessert recipes from the Savings Blog.
While you are here, print or load the latest pantry coupons to a store loyalty program below.