From food, drinks, outdoor dirt, and more, stains in the carpet or rug are bound to happen. It is best to take care of stains as soon as you notice them as it is easier for the stain to come up from the fibers of the carpet. Depending on the type of stain, there are several ways to remove it.
Just look in your pantry for these everyday household items to get started (cold water is needed to make most stain removal solutions).
- Gentle carpet shampoo
- White vinegar
- Dry-cleaning solvent
- Absorbent powder
- Rubbing alcohol (or methylated spirits)
Use this chart as a guide to create carpet stain removal solutions.
Rug Cleaning Guide – by the team at Bellacor.com
How to Get the Spots Out
- Mix the ingredients into an empty spray bottle.
- Spray the detergent solution onto an absorbent cloth and dab (do not rub), it on the stain. Continue to blot the area until the stain is gone.
- Spray cold water on a dry cloth to blot the area again to rinse the solution from the carpet.
- Place a few paper towels on the spot to soak up any remaining dampness from the stain until it is dry. Some people leave a heavy pot or pile of books on the paper towel overnight for better results.
It is important to remember to take care of stains as soon as they happen. Also, consider having a no shoes-in-the-house rule to prevent outside dirt from tracking inside of the home.
Before you go, print or load the latest household coupons to a store loyalty program below.