In under an hour, prepare a rich and satisfying soup made with seasonal vegetables. Fresh dill adds a bright and unexpected flavor to this low calorie dish. A meal in itself, this hearty soup is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Turkish or ½ California bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ pound sweet potato, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- ½ pound Yukon gold or boiling potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Cook onion with bay leaf and ½ teaspoon salt in oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute, then add sweet potato, Yukon Golds, broth, water, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Puree 1 cup soup in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and return to pot. Bring to a simmer, then stir in peas and dill and cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
For more healthy recipes, visit redplum.com/recipes.