Laughter is more than just the best medicine. We crave it and it keeps us young. Laughter is contagious, it lightens a home, and helps us spend life happy.
We've put together a fun list for your giggling pleasure, whether you need a quick hit of 'laugh-out-loud' company or a story full of funny anecdotes.
Get the popcorn ready
When you need a good laugh, these movies, old and new, will give you the fix you need.
- I Want You Back. Follow the fun story of 30-somethings Emma and Peter who, after being dumped, decide to sabotage their ex's new relationships to win them back. With many hilarious moments, this romcom promises great date night or girl's night cheer. Starring Charlie Day, Jenny Slate and Scott Eastwood.
- Don't Look Up. Meryl Streep portrays a deliciously detached American president vs. two low-level astronomers (Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence) who warn the uninterested public about an impending asteroid. This satirical film embraces excellent modern screenwriting and humor, setting it apart from traditional apocalyptic dramas.
Time to binge-watch
Flop into that couch and follow characters from the funniest TV shows.
- IT Crowd. Put Chris O'Dowd and Richard Ayoade together on a set and it's punch line after laugh-out-loud punch line. Just one of many highlights: When these two basement-dwelling IT chaps get their boss to believe the internet is actually a small black box she has to guard with her life.
- Black Books. Dry British humor at its best! This story revolves around a grumpy bookshop owner and his endearing inability to make a sale. Again, with so many one-liners and funny comedic moments, you are bound to be laughing through your evening G&T.
Want something from home instead? Give these shows another watch for more laughs and evening enjoyment.
- Grace and Frankie
- Modern Family
- New Girl
- Schitt's Creek
Humorous books that inspire
Put your feet up and enjoy these page-turners that make you laugh but also offer inspiration.
- We Are Never Meeting in Real Life by Samantha Irby. Irby writes about how a difficult childhood led to disastrous (and hilariously relatable) adulting experiences in this collection of essays.
- Will by Will Smith. The much-anticipated autobiography by actor and comedian Will Smith and ghostwriter Mark Manson deliver some of the funniest stories and then pull you into moments of deep life inspiration. Humor and wisdom are in fine balance in this incredibly amusing yet poignant book.
Podcasts to make you chuckle
Humans have an incredible ability to find humor in everyday, mundane moments. Tune into these comedic podcasters for your daily commute, while folding the laundry or during that meeting that could have been an email (we won't tell).
- Wolf and Owl. For those of you who like reminiscing and laughing at how you grew up in the '80s.
- The Adam Butcher Podcast. Chuckle to his witty ramblings on a variety of topics.
- The Bugle. Listen in on a group of comedians as they pick apart the latest news while offering comical relief.
Spend life happy, find the fun, and laugh as loud as you please. Then spread the joy. It's contagious!