Self-care is a vital part of improving both your physical and mental health. For some, the first thing that comes to mind is a day at the spa or a mindfulness retreat. These activities are awesome and will help to recharge your batteries, but sometimes we need a quick fix that doesn’t break the bank! There are so many things that you can do to exercise a bit of self-love. Take inspiration from these 27 totally free self-care ideas.
What is self-care?
Self-care embodies any form of time that you put towards taking care of yourself. It could be something as simple as making your bed or painting your nails, and varies from person to person. Self-care can take the form of healthy eating, exercising, or taking time out to read a good book. Any activity that refills your cup and empowers positivity in your life is a form of self-care!
Self-care ideas without even leaving your home
- Make your bed. It takes just a few minutes and immediately helps your home look more put together, which in turn helps you feel more put together.
- Change your sheets. If you have a few spare moments, freshen up your bedding. There is nothing quite as satisfying as snuggling into clean bed linen.
- Take a long hot bath. Make a mountain of bubbles, or pour in a few drops of relaxing essential oils. Grab a glass of wine, pop on a relaxing playlist or grab your book, and soak your troubles away.
- Take a nap. Sleep is immensely restorative. Taking a sneaky nap, whether it is twenty minutes or two hours, is a great way to recharge those depleted batteries.
- Do some baking. Whether it is your granny’s famous apple pie or a batch of chocolate chip cookies. The act of baking, and then consuming all that deliciousness, is food for the soul!
- Spring clean your closet, or a part of your home, Marie Kondo style. Getting rid of clutter that doesn’t spark joy is not only going to make you feel powerful. It is also going to make your life easier going forward.
Self-care ideas to make you look and feel good
Often, the word self-care inspires images of relaxing on the couch in your PJs with a tub of your favorite ice cream, binge-watching your favorite series. But self-care can also mean literally taking care of yourself. Do this by eating healthy, exercising, and drinking lots of water.
- Spend time in nature. Go for a walk in the park or look up some hiking trails nearby. The exercise will get those endorphins (feel-good hormones) flowing. And the fresh air and sunlight will do wonders for your well-being.
- Do a little dance. Or a big one. Dancing is a form of exercise that will get the endorphins pumping. So, put on some of your favorite tunes, crank the volume, and dance away your worries!
- Get your body moving with home workouts. There are a bunch of free workout sessions that you can watch on YouTube. Or follow a few fitness trainers on Instagram for some workout tips and free exercise videos.
- Refill your water bottle often. Drinking enough water is vital to maintain a healthy metabolism, flush out impurities, and keep your skin glowing.
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure. It’s cheaper than at the nail salon. Bonus: you can do it while binge-watching your favorite series.
- Apply that face mask that has been sitting on your vanity since Christmas. Or spend some time going through a complete skincare routine.
- Watch a YouTube video for a new make-up technique and try it out!
Self-care tips to strengthen your inner self
We are only human. We all get it wrong sometimes. Taking some time out for a bit of self-care can help to reboot and get you on the right track! Here are five self-care tips to boost your being from within.
- Practice positive self-talk. We all make mistakes, and there is little point in beating yourself up about it. Cut out the inner negative talk. Instead, praise yourself for things you have done right.
- This next self-care tip is in line with positive talk. Instead of making to-do lists write an it’s-done list. Fill the list with things that have been done so that you can affirm how much you achieve in a day.
- Meditation is an excellent tool to enhance mental clarity. There are many different meditation practices. At the heart of it, meditating is about clearing your thoughts and spending time simply allowing your mind to process.
- Ten things I love about me. Write a list of ten things that you love about yourself.
- Write a list of all the things you are grateful for. A gratitude list will help to shift your mindset into positive gear.
Ideas for self-care using your mobile phone
We spend so much time using our mobile phones for work and play. Why not use them for a bit of self-care too!
- Download an old favorite game that you love to play.
- Turn something mundane like folding the laundry into a me-time slot. Download an inspirational or fun podcast to listen to while you are doing chores.
- Watch a TED talk. You can watch something motivational or a topic you have been curious about for a while and haven’t had the time to research.
- Call a good friend. There is nothing like a long chat with an old buddy to make you feel good.
- Flick through your camera roll to enjoy old memories and fun things you have done!
Four more totally free self-care tips
We're not done yet. The list of ways to practice some self-care is seemingly endless!
- Do a random act of kindness like checking in with someone who hasn’t been well or sending someone a note to let them know how much you appreciate them.
- Just breathe. Try a calming breathing technique to help you relax and switch off from the outside world.
- Turn your mobile phone off for thirty minutes. Not being tempted to check the continuous flow of notifications will give you time and headspace to truly focus on yourself.
- Whether it is a golden oldie or a brand-new blockbuster, carve out some me-time to relax on the couch and watch a movie. Popcorn recommended.
Taking care of yourself doesn’t have to cost a cent
The best way to ensure that you use some of these helpful free self-care tips is to pencil self-care time in your diary. Literally, make a date with yourself for some me-time. Schedule self-care Sundays, or make a point of spending five to ten minutes every day doing something that is just for you. If you are looking for more self-care tips and savings on household and self-care items, be sure to keep an eye out for the Save mailer.